Tuesday, March 24, 2009

speaking out

Background note: Aliyah is unable to receive her group therapy during times when the regular schools are on vacations (CDS falls under their calander) simply because she doesn't have insurance, not because she doesn't need therapy. This has always outraged me and yesterday I got the chance to do something about it...

My mom and I went over to the state house and I gave testimony in front of the educational committee comprised of a bunch of Maine Representatives. I, of course, cried like a baby while speaking my mind about the discrimination our family has been through. It was terrifying, but as I looked at the committee, I saw sympathetic faces and felt better. This isn't something I would normally do and may not have even known about it if my boss wouldn't have asked me to go, but now that it's over, I am glad that I advocated for my daughter and am in the hopes that a new bill will be passed that will right this injustice....as a side note, when I left the room, a lawyer from the Disability Rights Council gave me her card and asked me to call her....i don't know if i will but it's nice to have the option....i'm proud of myself for doing that because i don't like speaking in front of people, but with my mom and aliyah in the crowd, i felt supported.

I have Aliyah's transition meeting with the school tommorrow...i feel like it could be a tough fight to get her support when she goes to kindergarten...please pray that she will receive the help that she will need ( I can't even believe she is going to kindergarten already)!!! And I call the school today to set up an appointment for Kindergarten screening! Scary!

No comments: