Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spidey

So, we inherited a hermit crab from Aliyah's class last November. He has been a neat pet, we watch him come out and walk around his tank dragging his shell around....Aliyah and I change his shells together and feed and water him...it's a nice life lesson...Every once and a while he'll stay in one spot for a while and I always think he's passed on....learning later as I move him around to undesired locations that he has moved but to be under his hut...but, unfortunately I moved him last week and he stayed there for 5 days....so, I took him out and Aliyah and I put him in a glass of water (this forces him out) and he didn't come out, so I poked him and he didn't move....I sadly informed Aliyah that Spidey was dead. She looked at me with great sadness in her eyes and said, "Has he gone to live with God". I told her yes and she said very seriously, "But, I can still see him in there". I told her that his heart and spirit has already gone, but that his shell stays behind. This seemed to satisfy her, but she immediately got on the phone and called my mom (she knows her speed dial number is 2). As soon as my mom picked up Aliyah didn't say Hi Memere, she immediately said, "Spidey's Dead and his heart and life has gone to live with God". She cried to my mom and told her how much she loved him and missed him. It really was quite sad and even last night she said "Mom, I miss Spidey". I told her as soon as she got back from Florida, we would go to the pet store and look for another crab. We saw a Hello Kitty decorated shell there last time we went....It was interesting when she asked me why he had to die and I gave her the very watered down story that everything eventually dies and goes to live with God. Another life lesson.....

No comments: